July 10 2017
AMSTERDAM– Fashion for Good announced today that Katrin Ley has joined the team as Managing Director. She will take over the responsibility for all Fashion for Good activities, further grow the team and increase the global impact of the initiative.
Katrin brings more than 20 years of relevant industry experience in the apparel and impact investing sector to her role. She joins Fashion for Good from Pymwymic, the ‘Put your Money Where Your Meaning Is Community’ of European wealth holders who invest for impact. Under her leadership as Managing Partner, Pymwymic launched the first-ever peer-to-peer impact holding company, welcoming mission-aligned families and individual investors as shareholders.
Prior to joining Pymwymic, Katrin was Managing Director within the adidas Group and a Principal within the Boston Consulting Group – with a focus on private equity, consumer goods and technology. Katrin was named a Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum and is also the founding curator of the Amsterdam Global Shapers Hub.
Leslie Johnston, Executive Director of C&A Foundation founding partner of Fashion for Good, says: “At Fashion for Good, we want to inspire all stakeholders in the fashion industry to work towards a future in which everyone – farmers, workers, customers, and communities – can flourish. We are truly excited about Katrin Ley joining as Managing Director. With her extensive experience in the apparel industry and impact investing, she brings the right combination of expertise and network to further extend the Fashion for Good movement of innovation, collaboration and community within the industry.”
Katrin Ley adds: “The fashion industry needs to change towards a world in which we do not take, make, dispose, but rather take, make, remake. Fashion for Good, together with its partners, sparks and scales innovation and fosters sector-wide collaboration in order to enable the industry to embrace new technologies, change its business models and adopt a totally new mindset. I am very excited about joining Fashion for Good and further expand our ecosystem and network of partners.”
Fashion for Good, a global initiative that aims to reimagine fashion has its first physical hub in Amsterdam. This open and inclusive approach brings together brands, retailers, multi-stakeholder initiatives, and funders to promote the five essential Goods of a new, transformed fashion industry: Good Materials, Good Economy, Good Energy, Good Water, and Good Lives.
For further information or interviews, please contact:
Note to editors:
About Fashion for Good
Fashion for Good is the global initiative that is here to make all fashion good. Fashion for Good sparks and scales innovation by offering practical action in the form of support and funding, shares best practice and lessons learned in open-source roadmaps, and fosters sector-wide collaboration for the entire apparel industry to change. Fashion for Good invites brands, producers, retailers, suppliers, non-profit organisations, innovators and funders to jointly transform the industry.
Fashion for Good was founded in 2017 by C&A Foundation, and is supported by partners Plug and Play, McDonough Innovation, the Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute, IDH – the Sustainable Trade Initiative, the Sustainable Apparel Coalition, the Ellen MacArthur Foundation and Impact Hub Amsterdam. The first brands to partner with Fashion for Good are C&A, Kering and Galeries Lafayette.
Fashion for Good’s six programmes are:
- Accelerator Programme: Fashion for Good works with Plug and Play, a leading Silicon Valley accelerator, to give promising start-up innovators the funding and expertise they need in order to grow.
- Scaling Programme: Fashion for Good finds innovations that have proof-of-concept and helps them scale by offering bespoke support and access to expertise, customers and capital.
- Apparel Acceleration Fund: The Sustainable Trade Initiative (IDH) is scoping a fund that catalyzes access to finance where this is required to shift at scale to more sustainable production methods.
- Good Fashion Guide: This open-source guide proves that good fashion is feasible today and shows brands how to embrace it. The online guide provides practical tips, a self-diagnostic tool and a step-by-step guide to production, based on lessons learned, while creating the world’s first Cradle-to-Cradle Certified™ GOLD T-shirt.
- The launchpad exhibition of the Fashion for Good Experience: Fashion for Good has opened three floors to the public in its historic building in a first step to build a community around the ambition to make all fashion Good. With interactive displays, thought-provoking messaging, and a call to action, the launchpad will inform and inspire its visitors to be part of this larger movement of Only Good Fashion. In 2018, the launchpad exhibition will be replaced with a definitive Experience Centre.
- Circular Apparel Community: Fashion for Good has rented a historic building in the heart of Amsterdam (our first hub) to bring like minded organisations and partners together, including the Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC), Zero Discharge of Hazardous Chemicals (ZDHC) and Made-By. This community will embrace collaboration to create change and it will be the first time such a vibrant eco-system of entrepreneurs and innovators has come together in the name of circular fashion.
Cradle to Cradle Certified™ is a certification mark licensed by the Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute.
About C&A Foundation
As the corporate foundation of global retailer C&A, we are here to transform the fashion industry. We give our partners financial support, expertise and networks so they can make the fashion industry work better for every person it touches. We do this because we believe that despite the vast and complex challenges we face, we can work together to make fashion a force for good. www.candafoundation.org